Search

Friday, May 7, 2010

Of course

I could not be any happier that this class was offered my junior year at Lehigh. No offense to freshmen, sophomores or seniors, but I think taking the class as a junior made it just right. I was, in terms of journalism, "ripe" enough to understand the value of class because of the job market and because it keeps me hooked to wanting to know more about multimedia while granting me at least one more year of experimentation before the real world.

One of the questions we were asked on our applications to get into the course was what we thought about citizen journalism, or something along those lines. I don't recall what I wrote, but I know that I've come across different definitions throughout the class.

Simply, the notion of citizen journalism is a step away from globalization by focusing on local matters while introducing the idea that anyone around the world can have an impact in their society as well as the global society.

It is scary though to think that because of citizen journalism, J-schools may be delegitimized. I don't know if in a year or two I may be begging for food outside of the New York Times building while tourists film me and decide that I'm newsworthy. Suddenly, their video is a YouTube sensation and they're budding journalists.

Journalism is increasingly becoming a gamble, but with this class, I've realized, no matter what level of experience you have, if you care about what goes on in your community or elsewhere, you are capable of contributing news.

Some people see barriers, I see undiscovered opportunities as simple as having a shoot and share camera and being anywhere, anytime.

The course was incredible--I hope other journalism majors at Lehigh can come to realize it is indispensable, not just for their resumes, but for their approach to story-telling. Some stories are 140 characters long, some 1 minute and 30 seconds, and others take up an entire website.

So, in a nutshell--great course, awesome professor, cool gadgets.


No comments:

Post a Comment